FIRST NATION PUBLIC LIBRARIES
FIRST NATION COMMUNITIES SUPPORT READ
- Brainstorm with colleagues to identify ways your library can participate in the First Nation Communities Read program.
- Make a commitment to participate in, at least, one way.
- Display the annual First Nation Communities Read poster if your library is included in a sponsored distribution of it. Or, purchase the poster if your library isn’t included in a sponsored distribution.
- Buy the annual title selection for your library - or yourself - or as an ideal gift for others.
- Buy one or more of the other books featured on the annual poster for your library - or yourself - or as an ideal gift for others.
- Buy all the books featured on the annual poster for your library.
- Purchase your books from the First Nation Communities Read official wholesaler, Goodminds.com.
- Display the annual First Nation Communities Read poster with all the books featured on it.
- Read the annual title selection for your own enjoyment and recommend it to others.
- Schedule full or excerpt readings from the annual title selection.
- Book talk the annual title selection formally and/or informally.
- Arrange for the annual selection's author and/or illustrator to visit your library or community.
- Check out and choose at least one of the ideas suggested on the First Nation Communities Read website for programming with the selected title.
- Buy a book club set of the annual selection and promote it to book clubs.
- Use the selected title as the inspiration for a book display or to jumpstart the creation of a bibliography or program.
- Plan to include the annual selection in your annual celebrations of any or all of First Nations Public Library Week (February), National Aboriginal Day (June 21), National Aboriginal History Month (June), Ontario Public Library Week (October), Canadian Library Month (October), etc.
- Include books featured on the annual poster in your programming.
- Post a link to the First Nation Communities Read website on your library's website.
- Plan to attend First Nation Communities Read sessions at the Ontario Library Association’s annual Super Conference in Toronto.
- Commit to letting us know how you're participating in and supporting First Nation Communities Read.
- Report your participation, feedback, and anecdotes to SOLS! We are happy to share your stories.
For more information contact Nancy Cooper, First Nation Communities Read coordinator and First Nations Consultant at Southern Ontario Library Service.
First Nation Communities Read acknowledges the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Book Fund for this project