FIRST NATIONS PUBLIC LIBRARIES
All SOLS services are available to First Nations public libraries. In addition, SOLS offers specialized assistance through our dedicated First Nations consultant, Nancy Cooper, who is a member of Rama First Nation.
- We consult with band councils, education departments, and First Nation public libraries directly on issues related to specific library services
- Our staff participate in the province-wide Strategic Action Group, which examines initiatives and future direction for First Nation library service, and liaises with organizations with similar interests, such as the Ontario Library Association
- SOLS also co-ordinates occasional special grants or initiatives funded by our ministry
SOLS supports an opportunity, at least once a year, for southern Ontario First Nation libraries staff to meet to share common concerns and issues. The business meeting agenda and training program for each Gathering is determined in consultation with the southern Ontario First Nation public libraries committee.
First Nations Communities READ
First Nations Communities Read is is an annual reading program launched in 2003 by the First Nations public library community in Ontario. First Nation Communities Read selected and other recommended titles:
- encourage family literacy, intergenerational storytelling, and intergenerational information sharing;
- are written and/or illustrated by, or otherwise involve the participation of a First Nation, Métis, or Inuit creator;
- contain First Nation, Métis, or Inuit content produced with the support of First Nation, Métis, or Inuit advisers/consultants or First Nation, Métis, or Inuit endorsement.