OUR SERVICES & STAFF
Worldwide library collections & e-resources
- As part of our mandate to ensure equitable access to collections and e-resources for public libraries, we offer shared Collections & Collective Purchasing options for public libraries. These include a variety of e-book and electronic resources, as well as discounts on a wide variety of library supplies, furnishings, and technology.
- Through the combined efforts of our online Interlibrary loan system (INFO) and our physical delivery service for libraries, SIOLS helps expand the materials that public libraries make available to their communities.
Well-informed and skilled staff
- SOLS' Training team offers workshops, webinars, online courses, on-demand tutorials and certificate programs for all public library staff and trustees in Ontario
- Self-directed learners can also benefit from our Professional Resources on LearnHQ.ca, which bring together guides, articles, photos, and more for Ontario public library staff. The Professional Resources are maintained by the Southern Ontario Library Service and Ontario Library Service-North
- Both our training and resources are guided by our Competencies Index for Public Library Staff. The index defines the skills, abilities and knowledge necessary for successful job performance. They can be used for personal or staff development by all levels of library staff
- Library staff also learn from our in-person and online opportunities, where they can meet and share news and ideas, as well as problem-solving and seek advice from colleagues and peers.
Library services that meet common standards
- SOLS consultants help libraries achieve and maintain common standards by providing guidance on the management and governance of public library service. This includes Policy Development, Planning Assistance, and Library Accreditation & Guidelines. We also support these services for Francophone and First Nations Libraries.
- Our staff can assist libraries with statutory grants administered by the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, including the Public Library Operating, Pay Equity, and First Nation Salary Supplement Grants Program, as well as submissions for grants that we administer such as the Internet Connectivity Grant.
- On our own and in collaboration with OLA/OLBA, OLS-North, and the Federation of Ontario Public Libraries, we also provide ongoing board development through meeting opportunities, training, and publications.