ADVICE & CONSULTING
Information & Advice
SOLS consultants are available to facilitate a variety of planning sessions, on a fee basis. These typically include any combination of the following:
- A half-day dedicated to Planning to Plan, including a thorough orientation to the planning process, culminating in the planning of a broad based Situational Analysis to inform the planning process; the facilitator assists the participants in identifying the information most required for planning purposes
- A Planning Day (full-day) that consists of:
- Summarizing the librarys current reality, including a SWOT analysis (the results of the Situational Analysis
- Envisioning a successful future for the library
- Identifying the 3-5 strategic directions that will form the framework for the plan.
- A Mapping for Success Writing Workshop (full or half-day): a small group, with the assistance of a SOLS facilitator, refines the planning framework that was established during the planning day, and develops objectives for each strategic direction, and action items for each objective.
In addition, there is a SOLS publication dedicated to strategic planning for public libraries. Creating the Future You've Imagined: A Guide to Essential Planning brings together an overview of the planning process with helpful tools for undertaking various aspects of the work related to planning.